Pages

27.2.08

american dreams

Only the sigsheet and creative work+performance at the app night left, and well, that I can probably manage in two days. The TV downstairs is tuned to Fox News again, and I really couldn't understand why my Lolo likes to watch that. Philippine politics do get redundant and tiring after a while (they're just all fighting over their kickbacks and power, nothing new) but it's also the same as American politics.

Or is it the remnants of a failed American dream, the last strains of old-school colonialism? Probably, and I can't blame him for that--my Lolo grew up in a time when the Star-Spangled Banner flew higher than our own eight-rayed sun. He'd even sometimes boast that he could sing the American anthem and know the names of the states and their capitals; he recieved his education from America and you won't get any stronger ideological apparatus than that. In this system, it has benefited us, and I can't blame him for that--being proud that we were once a colony and this system that fed us.

Maybe this is part of this--they feed you so you'd think twice about biting.

No comments: