Pages

21.6.07

philosophy

So there we were, discussing the unaswerable question "What is Philosophy", which cannot be really answered either (like all other things in Philo, accdg. to Russell's essay). And when we got to the question "What is the value of Philosophy?", everybody's answer ranged from the essence of questioning to the definition of value in that particular sentence. Since, again, no completely right answers in Philo, the question continued to float around my conciousness until the ride home.

Then it struck me; the comparison that seems the most right for me (it's the nearest that I can come to an answer).

Maybe, Philosophy is like life. "Why live when we are going to die?" seems almost parallel to the principle of Philo that "Why ask questions when you know that it is just an endless search for the truth?" As Edmund Hillary once answered (on the reason why he decided to climb Everest): "It is there." It's probably the only thing that might separate us from animals; we question, we philosophize, even if it is utterly futile to do so in the constraints of society. It is human nature to ask why, and why not.

And maybe, these questions and this act of questioning will bring about change. For there are no right answers; change may be the nearest that we can get to an answer.

I hope I can be a part of it; no, I will become a part of it.

No comments: